Benson Bros. Shipbuilding

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Benson Bros. Shipbuilding

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Benson Bros. Shipbuilding Co. (1960)

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1942-1984

History

The first shipyard in the Benson family was founded ca. 1919 on False Creek by Charlie Benson, who had immigrated to Vancouver from Australia in 1907. Charlie's sons Albert Charles Benson and Robert Herman Benson assumed control in 1923, changing the company's name to Benson Bros. Shipbuilding. In 1925, A.C. Benson assumed full control, changing the name to A.C. Benson Shipyard. In 1938 the company relocated to the former Melchion Shipyard in Coal Harbour. R.H. rejoined the company in 1942, and the name reverted to Benson Bros. Shipbuilding. The company acquired the Star Mercer Shipyard in the Queensborough neighbourhood of New Westminster in 1974. In 1979, the company consolidated its operations at the yard in New Westminster. The firm went out of business in 1984.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC