Fonds RBSC-ARC-1645 - Benson Shipyards fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Benson Shipyards fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Benson Bros. Shipbuilding fonds

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RBSC-ARC-1645

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1956 - 1982 (Creation)
    Creator
    Benson Bros. Shipbuilding

Physical description area

Physical description

2.8 m of textual records
1.2 m of technical drawings
5 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1942-1984)

Administrative history

The first shipyard in the Benson family was founded ca. 1919 on False Creek by Charlie Benson, who had immigrated to Vancouver from Australia in 1907. Charlie's sons Albert Charles Benson and Robert Herman Benson assumed control in 1923, changing the company's name to Benson Bros. Shipbuilding. In 1925, A.C. Benson assumed full control, changing the name to A.C. Benson Shipyard. In 1938 the company relocated to the former Melchion Shipyard in Coal Harbour. R.H. rejoined the company in 1942, and the name reverted to Benson Bros. Shipbuilding. The company acquired the Star Mercer Shipyard in the Queensborough neighbourhood of New Westminster in 1974. In 1979, the company consolidated its operations at the yard in New Westminster. The firm went out of business in 1984.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds documents the company's activities in the ship building and maintenance business from ca. 1960 until the closure of the business in 1984. The fonds is arranged in four series containing invitations to tender, specifications, and drawings from various marine architects and government agencies, as well as invoices, advertising and technical publications from various suppliers.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

The Fisherman Publishing Society collection at UBC's Rare Books and Special Collections contains photographs of several fishing vessels built by Benson Brothers including the Martin G. Martin and the Provider. The finding aid for this collection can be found at http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/AZ/PDF/EFG/Fisherman_Publishing_Society_Collection.pdf. This collection has been digitized and are available online at http://digitalcollections.library.ubc.ca/cdm/landingpage/collection/fisherman .

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres