Gulf of Georgia Canning Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Gulf of Georgia Canning Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Gulf of Georgia Cannery was established by the Gulf of Georgia Canning Company in Steveston in 1894. By 1897 the cannery operated two production lines and ranked as the second largest cannery in British Columbia. In 1902 canning operations expanded to three canning lines. In 1929 canning operations ceased temporarily and the cannery was used as a net loft and gear locker. From 1943 to 1947, Gulf of Georgia canned herring; then after 1947 it was used for seine and gillnet lofts. In 1978 the Gulf of Georgia Cannery was designated as a national historic site, representing West Coast fisheries.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC