Fonds RBSC-ARC-1284 - Inverness Cannery fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Inverness Cannery fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Inverness Cannery

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RBSC-ARC-1284

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1900 - 1967] (Creation)
    Creator
    Inverness Cannery
    Place
    British Columbia

Physical description area

Physical description

7.5 metres of textual records and other material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1876-1973)

Administrative history

Situated on the River Skeena, Inverness Cannery was built in 1876 by North Western Commercial Company. It was purchased from Turner, Berton Company by J. H. Todd and Sons of Victoria in 1902 who owned and managed the cannery until it's closure in 1950. The cannery was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1920, and entirely destroyed by fire in 1973.

Custodial history

The records were acquired by the UBC special collections archivist in 1972. They were inventoried at that time but never fully processed. In 2016 the records underwent conservation treatment and some materials were removed permanently. The remaining fonds were then processed fully. No further accruals are expected.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records related to the operation of Inverness Cannery. Records span from the early 1900s all the way through to the 1950s when the cannery was closed and turned into a fish camp. The cannery was owned by J.H. Todd and Sons Ltd. from 1902-1950. The fonds is comprised of seven different series: Correspondence series, Financial series, Fish Canning series, Fish Catching series, Inverness Cannery School series, Legal series, and Publications, Pamphlets and News Clippings series.

Notes area

Physical condition

Many records in the fonds contained rusting inorganic materies (e.g. staples and paperclips). The archivist has attempted to remove them all, but some most likely remain and should be removed in the future for long-term preservation.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The original physical order of some files has been maintained, especially where files were arranged chronologically, as in the Correspondence, Fish Catching, and Canning series. However, the remainder of the records have been physically re-arranged to reflect the order represented in this description.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions have been applied.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Physical description

Includes:
7 stamps : rubber and wood

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created by Claire Williams in June 2017.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Fitzgerald, Mickey. "The Rise and Demise of J.H. Todd and Sons, British Columbia's Enduring Independent Salmon Canners." 2015. https://dspace.library.uvic.ca/bitstream/handle/1828/6672/MicFitzThesisFinal%282015%29.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (Accessed May 10 2017)

Accession area