RBSC / OSC Archives

J.H. Todd and Sons

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

J.H. Todd and Sons

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Born in 1827 in Brampton, Ontario, Jacob Hunter Todd came to Victoria, B.C. in the early 1860s. Todd later went to the Cariboo where he travelled to mining camps selling sundries. In 1872 he returned to Victoria and there entered into a partnership with his son Charles to operate a general store. The company expanded into the salmon industry with the construction of the Richmond (1882) and Beaver (1889) Canneries on the Fraser River. It later acquired the Inverness Cannery located on the Skeena River. A new company was formed after a voluntary liquidation in 1931. Control of the company was assumed by B.C. Packers Ltd. and the Canadian Fishing Company in 1954. It continued to operate a cannery at Klemtu and fish camps on the Skeena River, Fraser River and at Sooke under the Todd name until it ceased to exist as a separate entity after 1969.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Inverness Cannery (Constructed in 1876. Closed in 1950. Destroyed by fire in 1973.)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Inverness Cannery is owned by J.H. Todd and Sons

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Purchased in 1902 and owned until closure in 1950.

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes