Fonds RBSC-ARC-1718 - Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RBSC-ARC-1718

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1934 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records
19 photographs : b&w
1 map

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company operated a coal-powered electric plant in Nanaimo built in 1888, primarily for lighting streets and homes. In 1904, the company, then owned in Victoria, built a hydro-electric plant and dam on the Millstone River. In 1907, No. 2 dam was built at Westwood Lake. The company was sold in 1926 to the International Utilities Corporation. In June of 1930 the company was acquired by the Commonwealth Corporation and in July 1934 it was amalgamated with Duncan Utilities Limited, creating Nanaimo Duncan Utilities Limited. William Lewis started as bookkeeper and collector for the company in 1897, and was manager of the Nanaimo operations until 1931.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a 24-page dossier that summarizes operations at the Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company through text, photographs, and a map. The dossier was put together prior to the merger of Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company with Duncan Utilities Power Limited, forming Nanaimo Duncan Utilities Limited in July 1934.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres