Fonds RBSC-ARC-1430 - Payne family fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Payne family fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RBSC-ARC-1430

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1762-1805 (Creation)
    Creator
    Payne (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

13 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Payne family first appeared in the Gulf Islands in 1886 with the arrival of Gerald Fitzroy Payne (d. 1952). He was followed the next year by his brother Charles who settled on Saturna Island. In 1892 a younger brother Harold Digby Payne arrived on Saturna and opened a store and post office. Later he followed his brothers' lead and took up sheep raising on the island. Gerald Payne entered the towing business with his brother Jack, who later returned to England. About 1902, a fourth brother, Hubert St. John Payne (1871-1963), an Anglican priest and Harold's twin, arrived in British Columbia. Among his many charges, Hubert was rector of St. Barnabas and St. Mary's Anglican Churches in Victoria, as well as being associated with the B.C. Coast Mission. In 1896, the Paynes' sister Katherine Janet Bradley-Dyne (d. 1954) and her husband George moved to North Saanich, where they bought a farm from Dr. J.S. Helmcken and began raising Jersey cattle. After selling out in 1911, they moved to another farm at Somenos but moved back to the original North Saanich farm in 1934. Eventually, Gerald, Harold and Hubert settled in North Saanich near their sister.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of family correspondence, financial records and miscellaneous documents (1762-1805).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available. PDF document attached.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres