Collection RBSC-ARC-1745 - British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society collection

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

9 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society formed in 1904 in the aim to care for and treat people suffering with tuberculosis. In July 1907 the Society purchased the Fortune Ranch at Tranquille, near Kamloops, which they converted into a treatment facility. In 1920 the Directors of the Society commenced negotiations with the provincial government to take over operation of the Tranquille Hospital. On February 23, 1921 an agreement was signed and the Tranquille Hospital was transferred to the Province of British Columbia. This marked the formal end of the British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society. On October 30, 1922 the Tranquille Tuberculosis Publicity Society was incorporated under the Societies Act of British Columbia, and on November 9, 1936 this society changed its name to the British Columbia Tuberculosis Society. On July 27, 1978 the name was changed to the British Columbia Lung Association.

Custodial history

These records were donated to the University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine by Anne Ironside who obtained them from her father, Dr. Kincaid. The latter was Provincial Director of Tuberculosis Control from 1951-1971. These records were given to Dr. Kincaid by Dr. C.H. Vrooman (d. 1951), former Superintendent of Tranquille (until 1918) and former secretary of the Anti-Tuberculosis Society.

The collection was kept at Woodward Memorial Library since at least June 1986. It was transferred to Rare Books and Special Collections in 2015.

Scope and content

The collection contains two minute books from the British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

RAD compliant finding aid compiled by M. Hunter, July 2015.

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres