British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society collection
- Graphic material
9 cm of textual records
The British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society formed in 1904 in the aim to care for and treat people suffering with tuberculosis. In July 1907 the Society purchased the Fortune Ranch at Tranquille, near Kamloops, which they converted into a treatment facility. In 1920 the Directors of the Society commenced negotiations with the provincial government to take over operation of the Tranquille Hospital. On February 23, 1921 an agreement was signed and the Tranquille Hospital was transferred to the Province of British Columbia. This marked the formal end of the British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society. On October 30, 1922 the Tranquille Tuberculosis Publicity Society was incorporated under the Societies Act of British Columbia, and on November 9, 1936 this society changed its name to the British Columbia Tuberculosis Society. On July 27, 1978 the name was changed to the British Columbia Lung Association.
These records were donated to the University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine by Anne Ironside who obtained them from her father, Dr. Kincaid. The latter was Provincial Director of Tuberculosis Control from 1951-1971. These records were given to Dr. Kincaid by Dr. C.H. Vrooman (d. 1951), former Superintendent of Tranquille (until 1918) and former secretary of the Anti-Tuberculosis Society.
The collection was kept at Woodward Memorial Library since at least June 1986. It was transferred to Rare Books and Special Collections in 2015.
The collection contains two minute books from the British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society.
控制使用, 复制, 和发布的术语
RAD compliant finding aid compiled by M. Hunter, July 2015.