Type of entity
Authorized form of name
British Columbia Lumber Manufacturers Association
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1900 – 1966.
Founded in 1900 and formally registered under the name British Columbia Lumber and Shingle Manufacturers Limited in 1907, the British Columbia Lumber Manufacturers Association (BCLMA) main objective was to protect the trade of different businesses and public organizations, to promote the lumber and shingle trade, to gather and publish information of interest to the forest industry, establish standards for grading and weighing and manufacturing lumber.
BCLMA was divided into a number of branches, which reflected the organizations main activities. These include: the Shingle Branch and Lumber Branch, Sash and Door Branch, and Box Branch. The affairs of the organization were overseen by the Board of Director’s with the Secretary-Treasurer responsible for the financial and record-keeping functions of the body.
The organization changed its name in 1936 to the British Columbia Lumber and Shingle Association. At this time, the organization added trade extension, research, the promotion of favourable legislation and safety, and advertising to its activities. The organization also conducted educational classes for member company employees.
In 1947 the organization changed its name back to the British Columbia Lumber Manufacturers Association and in 1949 amalgamated with Western Lumber Manufacturers Association.
In 1960 BCLMA became a member of the newly formed Council of Forest Industries of British Columbia. At this point some of the functions of the BCLMA were gradually taken over by COFI. In 1966 BCLMA’s Grading and Education Department merged to form the Quality Control Department. BCLMA amalgamated with COFI and four other associations in 1966, however, it continued to hold annual meetings for lumber manufacturers until 1982 when it was officially dissolved.