Canadian Merchant Service Guild fonds
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
- Canadian Merchant Service Guild
80 cm of textual records
The Canadian Merchant Service Guild was founded in Vancouver in 1917 as the Shipmate's and Officer's Association of Canada. In 1919 the association became incorporated as a national union bearing the name Canadian Merchant Service Guild. Between 1919 and 1965, mergers with other marine unions increased the size and jurisdictions of the Guild. In 1965 the revised by-laws of the CMSG formally established the division of the union into Eastern and Western Branches. Henceforth, the Guild as a single unit ceased to exist.
The fonds consists of minute books of the Guild from 1917 to 1967. The first monthly report of the Guild (March 1918) is included in the first minute book. Minutes of the Western Branch for 1966 and 1967 are also included.
Permission required from Guild office for access to minute books after 1965.