Title and statement of responsibility area
Classics Club fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1951, 1967-1984 (Creation)
Physical description area
0.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The UBC Department of Classics initiated the Classics Club for its students in 1920. The first department head, Lemuel Robertson, was the Club's original sponsor, and meetings were often held in his home. Discussions were also held at the homes of Classics professors Harry Logan and O.J. Todd. Club activities included presenting papers by faculty and students, productions of Classical Greek plays, and social events. The Club was active through the 1920s and 1930s, then went into hiatus during World War II. It was revived when Logan became head of the department in 1949. It continued to flourish until the 1990s when undergraduate enrolment went into decline. The Club was dissolved in 1995. The Department of Classics was merged into the Department of Classical, Near-Eastern, and Religious Studies.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of items that illustrate some of the Classics Club's activities and includes annual programmes, correspondence, and posters and programmes for productions of Greek plays.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the University Archives by Professor Robert B. Todd in September 1999.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Stored with University Archives’ vertical files at VF 111.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Uploaded finding aid
Administrative history based on information provided by Professor Todd.