Title and statement of responsibility area
Department of Economics fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- University of British Columbia. Dept. of Economics
Physical description area
23.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The UBC Department of Economics, Sociology and Political Science was established in 1915 within the Faculty of Arts. However, there were no officers and staff in the department at that time. Instead, three courses in economics were offered by Samuel Mack Eastman, assistant professor of the Department of History. Theodore H. Boggs became the first professor of economics in 1917 and head of the department in 1920 when Henry F. Angus joined him. In 1931, Angus succeeded Boggs, and he served as a head until 1956.
Meanwhile, the department name was changed to the Department of Economics, Political Science, Commerce, and Sociology in 1934. Five years later, the Department of Commerce was created. The department was then renamed the Department of Economics, Political Science, and Sociology. A program leading to a master's degree in economics was offered in 1926, and a doctoral program was instituted in 1962. The Department of Economics and Political Science was divided into separate units; the Department of Economics and the Department of Political Science in 1964. The Department of Economics belongs to the Faculty of Arts that administers all departments and programmes in the humanities, social sciences, and creative arts. The department is responsible for teaching, research, and service to the university, profession, and community economics. Other heads of the department have been John J. Deutsch (1956-1959), Joseph A. Crumb (1959-1960), John H. Young (1960-1966), Anthony D. Scott (1966-1969), A. Milton Moore (1969-1973), Ronald A. Shearer (1973-1977), John G. Cragg (1977-1986), Samuel P. S. Ho (1986-1990), John F. Helliwell (1990-1993), William C. Riddell (1993-1997), Ashok Kotwal (1997-2002), and Angela Redish (2002- ).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes of meetings and reports about the administration and activities of the department. The records are arranged in three series: Departmental minutes; Annual reports, Departmental reviews.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from the Department of Economics, January 29, 2003.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These are institutional records and subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Researcher access to these records is subject to review.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Online Finding Aid
Please see the finding aid for an inventory of files.