Fonds UBCA-ARC-1573 - Department of Philosophy fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Philosophy fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UBCA-ARC-1573

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1988-1990 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Department of Philosophy

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1915-)

Administrative history

The Department of Philosophy dates from the beginnings of UBC, being founded in 1915 as one of the original departments in the Faculty of Arts. Its aim over its history has been to use the study of philosophy to develop students’ critical-thinking abilities for essential questions about life, thought, knowledge, and social and intellectual traditions and help prepare them to be successful in academic and professional fields. Today, the Department offers significant, minor, and honours degrees in philosophy and combined majors in philosophy and economics, philosophy and political science, history and philosophy of science, and cognitive systems. Masters and Ph.D. programmes are also offered.
James Henderson was the sole member of the Department from its establishment until 1920 when H.T.J. Coleman was appointed head. Coleman was succeeded by J.A. Irving in 1940, followed by S.N.F. Chant in 1945. The Department was re-named Philosophy and Psychology in 1936 to reflect the expansion of psychology course offerings. Psychology became a separate department in 1958, and Barnett Savery was appointed Head of Philosophy that same year and remained in that position until 1969. Other Department heads over the years have been Peter Remnant (1970-76, 1986-87), Robert J. Rowan (1976-80), James C. Dybikowski (1980-84), Edwin Levy (1985-86), Howard Jackson (1988-94), Earl R. Winkler (1995-98), Mohan Matthen (1999-2004), Margaret Schabas (2005-09), Paul Bartha (2009-12, 2017-18), Alan Richardson (2013-16), and Matt Bedke (2019- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records documenting a review of the Department of Philosophy in 1988 and the Department’s response to that review, and the development of a five-year plan for the Department (1989-90).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Stored with University Archives’ vertical files at VF 121.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Fonds consists of institutional records – access requests must be reviewed by the University's FOIPOP Coordinator.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area