Fonds UBCA-ARC-1274 - Faculty fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: The title is based on the provenance of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

8 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

President Wesbrook convened the first meeting of the University of British Columbia teaching staff in his office in September 1915. Wesbrook indicated that while a general meeting of the Faculty might be called on occasion, administrative efficiency demanded a smaller body. Accordingly, he proposed the Faculty's formation, consisting of the Deans and Department Heads (or acting heads). Management would be assumed by several committees whose work would be reported to and passed by the Faculty. The initial committees included Library, Graduate Work, Courses and Calendars, Students' Standing and Administration, Military Education, Student Affairs and Academic Costume. This body operated until 1921, when the unitary system inaugurated by Wesbrook was discontinued, and each Faculty assumed management of its affairs.

Custodial history

The records were stored under the old stadium's roof during World War II and discovered in 1968 during the building's demolition.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the bound minutes of meetings of the Faculty held between 1915 and 1921. In addition, an oversize bound visitor registry (1959-1993) was acquired in 2020 and can be found in box 2.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These are institutional records and subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Researcher access to these records is subject to review. To arrange access, please contact us at UBC Archives.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Updated in February 2021, JM.

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres