Fonds UBCA-ARC-1476 - Faculty of Applied Science fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty of Applied Science fonds

General material designation

  • Photographic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UBCA-ARC-1476

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906-2016, predominant 1993-1998 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Faculty of Applied Science

Physical description area

Physical description

18 photographs
12 cm textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1915-)

Administrative history

The Faculty of Applied Science was one of the first faculties at the University of British Columbia. In 1915, with the official opening of the University, the Faculty of Applied Science appointed Reginald W. Brock, its first Dean. He would serve from 1915-1935. He was followed by John N. Finlayson (1936-1950), H.J. Macleod (1951-1954), Henry C. Gunning (1954-1959), David M. Myers (1960-1965), William Armstrong (1966-1969), W.D. Finn (1970-1979), L.M. Wedepohl (1979-1986), Axel Meisen (1986-1997), Michael Isaacson (1997-2008), Tyseer Aboulnasr (2008-2011), Eric Hall (pro tem, 2011-2013), and Marc Parlange (2013-present).
In the Faculty's early days, courses were only offered through the Second Year in Civil, Mechanical, and Mining and Metallurgy Engineering. The Faculty now oversees two Schools, the first from the former Department of Architecture, becoming the School of Architecture (1949) and later the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (2005), and the second from the Department of Nursing and Health, which became the School of Nursing (1950). There is also a School of Engineering at UBC Okanagan, established in 2005. The Faculty currently offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, architecture/landscape architecture, and nursing.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of photographs, as well as reports and printed material relating to the faculty's communications and public affairs programmes, and the faculty's news publication "Ingenuity".

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These are institutional records and subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Researcher access to these records is subject to review.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Online Finding Aid
Please see the finding aid for an inventory of files.

Associated materials

Related records can be found in the fonds of the School of Nursing, the School of Architecture, the Department of Mechanical Engineering, and the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering from the University of British Columbia.

Accruals

More accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area