Fonds UBCA-ARC-1030 - Frederic Wood fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Frederic Wood fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Photographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: The title is based on the provenance of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UBCA-ARC-1030

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1915-1973 (Creation)
    Creator
    Wood, Frederic

Physical description area

Physical description

33 cm of textual records
22 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1887-1976)

Biographical history

Born in Victoria, B.C., Frederic Gordon Campbell Wood enrolled in the first class established in that city by McGill University and, in 1910, graduated from McGill itself. After teaching high school in Victoria for four years and earning an MA from Harvard University (1915), Wood joined the newly-established University of British Columbia faculty as one of the two original members of the Department of English. He founded and directed the Players' Club, which staged theatrical performances throughout the province. The Frederic Wood Theatre stands as a tribute to his significant contribution to theatre development in BC. In 1950, he retired from UBC after thirty-five years of service to the university and became the longest-serving original staff member. Even after his retirement, Wood continued to assume an active interest in the theatre.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consist of scrapbooks of clippings, correspondence, photographs, and programs relating to the Players' Club's activities and the Frederic Wood Theatre's construction.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Online Finding Aid
Please see finding aid for the file list.

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Oversize display boards of photographs of performances by the Players Club, 1937, 1939, 1945 & 1946 are located in the vault in cabinet 2. Please ask archives staff for details.

Accruals

General note

File 3-10, along with two photographs, were donated to the University Archives in 1987 by Mrs. F.G.C. Wood.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Updated in February 2021, JM.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area