Title and statement of responsibility area
Icelandic Lutheran Church subfonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Icelandic Lutheran Church
Physical description area
24 cm of textual records, 77 photographs and 1 scrapbook
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Icelandic Lutheran Church (now the Oakridge Lutheran Church) was originally established in 1917 by Rev. S. Olafson; however by the 1930s, the original congregation dissolved. In 1941, Rev. R. Marteinsson, from the Board of American Mission, was sent to Vancouver to establish a mission and on March 8, 1944, the Icelandic Lutheran Church was organized with 100 members. Right from the Church’s inception, it had a very active Women’s Auxiliary.
For 12 years, the congregation held their Worship Services at the Danish Lutheran Church, but moved to their current location on Ash Street and 41st Avenue in 1956. Pastor Guenter Strothotte who formerly served at the German Church of the Cross knew that they were looking for a larger Church. In 1969, a 49 year lease was agreed upon by the two congregations to share the space. Additionally, in 1989, the two congregations merged. Today, the church is a multi-cultural congregation which continues to draw its membership from Icelandic, German, and more recent Chinese waves of immigration.
Scope and content
Subfonds reflects the history and evolution of the Icelandic Lutheran Church and its activities in the greater Vancouver community. The Women’s Auxiliary of the Icelandic Lutheran Church was very involved in the functioning of the institution; therefore many of the records document the initiatives that the Women’s Auxiliary of the Church’s undertook during the Church’s history through the extensive minutes they kept of their monthly meetings. Records also document the church’s founding and development.
Subfonds is divided into three series: Administrative records, Publications, and Photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some of the files contained in this subfonds contain personal information and are thus restricted. To see these files, or for more information, please contact the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available.
Generated finding aid
• RBSC-ARC-1756-PH-355 to 429 (photographs)
• RBSC-ARC-1756-PH-2517 to 2518 (photographs)
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created by Andréa Tarnawsky in February 2017. Processing completed February 21 2017. Description updated by Andréa Tarnawsky in January 2018.