Showing 21 results

Archival description
Doug and Joyce Cox Research Collection Subseries
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Historical mining research collection

Subseries consists of collected materials with pertinence to the mining industry in the late 19th and early 20th century in the Kootenay, Boundary, and Similkameen regions of British Columbia.
Includes collected photographs, clippings, government publications, maps (mineral claims) and textual records.

Subseries documents the Nickel Plate and Mascot mines near Hedley, BC, and several short-lived mining boom towns in the Kootenays and Boundary country (Phoenix, Camp McKinney) as well as Blakeburn and Coalmont (also now abandoned) in the Similkameen.

Reverend A.H. Cameron collection

Reverend A.H. Cameron arrived in Keremeos in 1906 and established a Presbyterian church where he presided as its first minister for many years. He captured a large number of pictures during his tenure, leaving a photographic record of local affairs. Subseries consists of photographs attributed to him.

Ed Aldredge collection

Biographical sketch:
Edgar “Eddie” Wilfrid Aldredge (1901-1992) was one of Penticton’s best known residents. After having worked stints with on the railroad with CPR and in the mining industry with Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company (Trail) in his youth, Aldredge returned to Penticton and began his career as a journalist with the Penticton Herald newspaper in the 1920s. He eventually settled into writing a recurring column dedicated to profiling prominent white settler families of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Later, he wrote a similar column for Okanagan Sunday. He married Winnfred Sadler of Kaleden (d. 1986) in 1963. Ed Aldredge was awarded the City of Penticton’s Merit award for his contributions to the community at in 1973 at the age of 72.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of 265 photographs taken by Ed Aldredge of notable people, structures, landmarks, and events in Penticton, BC. The subseries consists secondarily of a collection of his published columns in the Penticton Herald and Okanagan Sunday as clippings, mounted in two large scrapbooks.

Penticton Herald photograph collection

Subseries consists of an acquisition by Doug Cox of a collection of photographic negatives from the newspaper The Penticton Herald.

Coverage includes themes such as the cultural events, sports, rodeo, telecommunications, buildings and community infrastructure, aviation, industry, disasters.

Joe Harris collection

Biographical sketch:
Joseph Gleason Harris (b. 1910 July 6, d.1994 December 26) arrived in Penticton in 1917. At age 16 he was invited by Frank Richter, Jr., to the Richter Ranch in Keremeos, from which point he visited the Cathedral Mountains for the first time. Later, in 1939, Harris and Herb Clark of Keremeos launched a pack horse business which would take tourists to visit the Cathedrals. In 1944 he entered the ranching industry and in 1946 took over what was previously Ralph Overton’s ranch. This site was later home to Apex Mountain Guest Ranch. 1946 also saw the launch of a heavy equipment business.

Joe Harris and Margaret “Peggy” Burgess married 1945 April 4 and they made their home in Penticton. Together they raised seven children.

Joe Harris also was heavily involved in civic service. Harris served as the chairman of the Central Welfare Committee for fifteen years throughout the 1930s and 1940s. From 1950-1957, Harris also served as an Alderman on the Penticton City Council. Harris was a member of the Penticton Hospital Board for sixteen years and initiated a local volunteer search and rescue group. Harris participated in many local rescues himself.

Harris was also instrumental in local heritage initiatives and worked as the curator of the R.N. Atkinson (Penticton) Museum from 1973-1984. His deep knowledge of the history of the area poised him to deliver educational lectures to various organizations and to serve as president of the Penticton branch of the Okanagan Historical Society for five years.

Harris was an avid photographer, and won many awards. His photographic record documents local places and events throughout the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s.

Harris was a close associate and valuable historical source for Doug Cox during his writing career.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of original photographs taken by Joe Harris as well as some pieces collected by Joe Harris and then subsequently transferred to the custody of Doug Cox. Predominant photographic coverage relates to the Cathedral Mountains, south of Keremeos, BC, during the 1930s. Includes a sequence of interviews with Joe Harris, and some associated transcripts.

Richter and Tweddle families collection

Biographical sketch:
The Tweddle and Richter families the Similkameen and South Okanagan have robust ties.

Richter: Francis Xavier Richter (1837-1910) was born in Freidland, Bohemia on November 5, 1837. In 1864 arrived in the Okanagan/Similkameen area to start cattle ranching. He and Lucy Simla (1846-1903, also notated as Lucy simla Acat, also notated as Lucy Sʔímlaʔxʷ), a member of the Okanagan First Nation from Vernon, BC, were married in 1867 or 1868. They had 5 sons: Charles (1869-1949), William (1872-1922), Joseph (1874-1971), Edward (1876-1971), and John “Hans” Richter (1877-1961).

Prior to the death of his first wife, Lucy Simla, F.X. Richter married Florence Elizabeth Loudon (1877 – 1959) in 1894 and subsequently fathered six more children: Betty, Freida, Frances, Helen, Kathleen, Francis X. Richter Jr. F.X. Richter’s oldest son, Charles, married Florence Loudon’s sister, Ada, in 1900 (Sources: OHS Report 14)

Richter has been described as being responsible for starting the fruit industry in the Similkameen Valley and he had a major orchard operation.

Tweddle: Haliburton “Harry” Tweddle (1876-1957) married Florence Elizabeth Richter (née Loudon, F.X. Richter’s second wife and widow) in 1912. They had 4 children: Haliburton T. (Hal), Margaret, Eileen, and Willa. (Source: OHS report 23). Harry Tweddle owned the Central Hotel in Keremeos, B.C., and operated a ranch, livery stable and stage line serving the Similkameen Valley.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of photographic and textual documentation of the F.X. Richter and Halliburton Tweddle families, as conjoined by Elizabeth Loudon, in the South Okanagan and Similkameen regions. Photographic subject matter treats themes of ranching and orcharding; textual records include copies of correspondence, wills, family trees, etc.

Savona research collection

Subseries comprises the deliberate collecting activity of Ed Villiers and provides documentation of approximately one century of Savona history, which is today west of Kamloops on the shore of Kamloops Lake where the Thompson River has its egress. Originally, Savona was situated on the north shore of Kamloops Lake and represented the terminus of the stage coach line from Cache Creek on the Cariboo Wagon Road. It was also the site of a lake steamboat harbor which carried goods and passengers toward the Shuswap. As rail service was developed on the south shore of Kamloops lake, the decision was made to relocate the town in the 1880s- the relocation was executed by mechanism of pulling structures across the frozen lake during the winter.

Subseries features in large part copied tear sheets of other historical sources, as well as original manuscripts prepared by Ed Villers for the Savona Community Heritage Committee. Other records include census documents, town directories and other documentation.

Archibald Murchie collection

Biographical sketch:
Archibald Murchie (1852-1930) immigrated to Victoria, BC as an adult. His brother, Thomas Murchie would go on to found Murchie’s Tea and name his own son Archibald Murchie (1892-1925, and not to be confused with his namesake). Following his calling to become an evangelist minister for the Spiritualist Church (an off-shoot of the Church of England), he set off into the interior of BC to preach as a missionary.

Although Murchie had dabbled in photography prior to coming to Canada, his career began in earnest when he arrived in Williams Lake, BC, in 1893. Wherever his missionary calling took him, Murchie brought along his camera. Marcus Smith, famed CPR engineer and previous associate of Murchie’s by function of their common membership to the Spiritualist Church, hired Murchie to photograph the creation of a bridge over the Fraser River at Sheep Creek. Work on this project was slow enough to afford Murchie to engage in side trips to Quenel, BC, and farther north. Here he made a connection with the Reverend A. H. Cameron who suggested he establish a parish in Princeton. After this failed, Murchie returned to the Cariboo and set up a photography studio in Ashcroft, BC.

In 1911 Murchie moved again to the Okanagan Valley and in 1916 at age 64 he married Amy Wood. His last attributed photograph was taken in 1918.

Scope and content:
Landscapes showing developing infrastructure in the interior of British Columbia in the later 19th and early 20th century, with especially robust coverage of the construction of railroads and bridges, as well as some mining operations. Features group portraits of work crews.

Valentine Carmichael Haynes collection

Biographical sketch:
Valentine Carmichael Haynes (21 December, 1875 – 1963?) was the first of many white settlers to be born in Osoyoos. He worked as a rancher all his life and was highly skilled in this area. Haynes married Elizabeth Runnels (d. 1942), niece of Nespelem George, a First Nations chief with described kinship to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation. Runnels was an artist (oil) and interpreter. One daughter, Alice, married a Thompson.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of documentation of Valentine Haynes and his family, as well as the Okanagan Cattle Company, of which Haynes was founder, all in the approximate area of Osoyoos, BC. Photographs depict ranching scenes, landscapes, and family life; textual materials include banking records, biographical sketches, Okanagan Cattle Company records, and genealogical information.

R.D. Symonds collection

Subseries consists of photographic materials attributed to photographer R.D. Symonds per various identifying annotations by Doug Cox. Geographical coverage is predominantly the south Okanagan - Kaleden and Okanagan Falls - with predominant association with the ranching industry.

Lillian Estabrooks collection

Biographical sketch:
Lillian Estabrooks (née Gibson), occasionally known as Bill Gibson, (b. 1902 August 1 in Almada, SK, d. 2003 August 17 in Penticton, BC) grew up in Keremeos. She and husband Richard (Dick) Estabrooks had three children. In 1981 under the pen name Bill Gibson she collaborated with Doug Cox to publish Under The K: Memories of Growing Up in Keremeos. Lillian Estabrooks was also a regular contributor to the Okanagan Historical Society annual reports.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of materials with provenance or pertinence to Lillian Estabrooks. Subseries is predominantly composed of photographs taken, collected, or otherwise attributed to Lillian Estabrooks, primarily during the years 1913-1920. Subseries also includes collected manuscripts, family trees, and notes, and one interview by Doug Cox with “Billy Estabrooks.”

Historical photograph collection

Subseries consists of photographs collected by Doug Cox in service to his historical research and writing. Materials derive from a wide variety of provenancial and subject contexts, which are resolved at the item level.

Lumb Stocks collection

Biographical sketch:
Lumb Stocks (b. 1887 in Leicester, England, d. 1947 in Penticton, BC) immigrated to Kelowna in 1910. He traveled back in England in 1915 to marry his wife, Marion. Together they had five children: Peter, Beryl, Jack, Daphne, and David.

In Vernon, Stocks purchased a camera from G.H.E. “Huddy” Hudson. Soon Stocks was offered a job by Hudson and he joined his photography studio. He became a partner and took over operations of the firm in 1916 when Hudson returned to England during WWI, renaming the enterprise “Hudson-Stocks & Co.” After deciding to stay permanently in England, Hudson asked Stocks in 1918 to buy out his partnership. Instead Stocks made a purchase from Hudson and his Penticton partner, Ken Chadwick, for the photography firm there and moved his family to the Penticton area.

Lumb Stocks’ second son, Jack Stocks, took over the business upon his father’s death in 1947, and maintained the Stocks Photography until his own untimely death in 1979.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of photographic record captured by Lumb Stocks and/or Jack Stocks and/or on behalf of Stocks Camera Shop, Penticton BC. These are commercial, professional photographs and the collection features an insignificant number of portraits or candid shots. The majority of the photographs were created during the lifetime of Lumb Stocks, and a minority by Jack Stocks, his successor.

Subseries documents landscapes, city scenes, events, disasters, buildings, and landmarks associated with Penticton, BC, primarily during the first half of the twentieth century.

Suite of postcards features a small subset of hand-tinted examples.

Penticton area research collection

Subseries consists of a photographic and oral history record of Penticton civic life from approximately 1910 through the mid 1970s, with predominant coverage during the middle decades of the twentieth century. Materials relate to sports, cultural events, landmarks and buildings, industry, transportation & infrastructure, and agriculture. Many of the photographs can likely be attributed to the Penticton Herald.

Frank Hunter collection

Biographical sketch:
Frank Hunter (b. 1909, d. ?) was born in Garneil, Montana, and immigrated with his parents to Saskatchewan as an infant. As a young man he ventured into the Peace River country of northern British Columbia. He married his wife, Doreen Hunter, in 1951 in Baldonnel, BC. They had two children.

Frank Hunter worked as a farmer upon his arrival in the Peace, and later on as a railroad surveyor and served as a school trustee during the 1950s.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of Hunter family photographs captured from about 1927 through the 1940s, as well as supporting textual reference materials. Photographs were taken by a Kodak Brownie box camera. Photographs depict images of landscapes, infrastructure (bridges and railroads), agriculture, rodeo, and pioneer family life in the Peace River region of British Columbia. Also includes a small subset of 35mm negative strips and 15cm x 13 cm photographic prints dated to 1992, taken by Sandy Baker, and documenting the same geographical area.

George Allen Aerial Photography Ltd. collection

George Allen Aerial Photography was a photo studio based in Vancouver, BC.
Subseries consists primarily of 25cm x 20 cm b&w photographs with George Allen Photos Ltd., 4609 Main Street, Vancouver BC.
Locales photographed include Okanagan, Thompson, Cariboo, Kootenay, and Boundary regions.

George Meeres collection

Biographical sketch:
George Albert Meeres (1878-1972), photographer and artist, was born in Grimsby, England in 1878. He emigrated to Canada in 1906. In 1910, he and partner Arthur John Lawrence purchased a photo studio from James Fenton in Russell, Manitoba. The partnership of Lawrence & Meeres continued until 1917 when it was dissolved. Meeres carried on under the name of George A. Meeres, Photographer, until 1925 when he sold the business and moved to Nelson, B.C. He purchased the Campbell Art Gallery, changing its name to George A. Meeres, Photographer. After a short time in Grindrod, he moved to Vernon, B.C., opening Meeres' Photographic and Art Studio in 1940. He specialized in portraits, wedding photos, and hand colouring. His studio operated in Vernon until 1968 and George Meeres died in Vernon in 1972 at the age of 94.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of professional photographs captured by George Albert Meeres. Geographies documented centre on the Okanagan, Shuswap, and Thompson regions ranging from Osoyoos, BC (southern boundary of coverage) to Revelstoke, BC (north-eastern boundary of coverage) and Chase, BC (northwestern boundary of coverage). Includes Penticton, Oyama, Winfield, Okanagan Centre, Vernon, Lumby, Armstrong, Falkland, Enderby, Salmon Arm, Grindrod, Sicamous, Malakwa, Tappen – with predominant coverage of Vernon, BC. A suite of photographs within the subseries provides coverage of the Armstrong Fall Fair, later termed the Interior Provincial Exhibition (IPE) during the 1940s and early 1950s.

Scenes captured depict landscapes, street scenes, industry, and labour, with special attention paid to the orchard and forestry industries.

Apex Mountain collection

Subseries consists of a collection of documents covering the inception and development of Apex Mountain Resort near Penticton, BC. Includes form letters to Apex members, reports, and some financial statements. Also included is a collection of promotional brochures from the 1970s – 1990s

An additional sequence of photographs related to Apex Mountain can also be found in series 1.3-1 (Historical Photograph Collection) at the item range 1.3-1/00766 – 1.3-1/00813.

General research files

Series consists of the accumulation of research materials compiled by Doug Cox in support of his author and historian function, and presumed compiled predominantly during the 1980s and 1990s. This series is defined by its collection and/or photocopying from existing published sources and/or other resources, for which the originals reside both within and without the Cox Collection.

Series is composed predominantly of original and photocopied tear sheets from various periodical publications (with emphasis on the annual reports of the Okanagan Historical Society, which have been digitized in full), monograph publications, photocopied photographs with identifying annotations, photocopies of correspondence, some original correspondence, and notes.

Brent family collection

Biographical sketch:
Alexander Theodore “Sandy” Brent (1912-1990) was as lifelong resident of the South Okanagan. After the death of his mother in the influenza epidemic of 1918, he and his siblings (Frederick (Eddie), Mary, Alice, Margaret and Donald) were raised by his grandparents at the Shingle Creek Ranch. Brent married Harriet Morgan and together they raised two sons (Kenneth (b. 1942) and George (b. 1945). His sister Alice married Hal Tweddle; she and her family is photographically documented in the Richter and Tweddle families collection.

The Brents lived variously in Allen Grove, St. Andrews by the Lake, and Penticton. Sandy Brent worked in ranching, hard rock mining (Nickel Plate mine above Hedley), logging, and finally as a foreman and later superintendent for the Hatfield family’s Interior Contracting Company.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of recorded interview and transcripts of recorded interviews. Not all audio recordings associated with transcripts are extant; likewise not all audio tapes have an associated recording. Content of interviews includes personal reminiscences, descriptions of photographs, and family histories. Subseries also includes a suite of interviews with his sisters, Margaret, Alice, and Margaret.