Showing 461 results

Archival description
University of British Columbia Library Okanagan Special Collections
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Historical mining research collection

Subseries consists of collected materials with pertinence to the mining industry in the late 19th and early 20th century in the Kootenay, Boundary, and Similkameen regions of British Columbia.
Includes collected photographs, clippings, government publications, maps (mineral claims) and textual records.

Subseries documents the Nickel Plate and Mascot mines near Hedley, BC, and several short-lived mining boom towns in the Kootenays and Boundary country (Phoenix, Camp McKinney) as well as Blakeburn and Coalmont (also now abandoned) in the Similkameen.

Reverend A.H. Cameron collection

Reverend A.H. Cameron arrived in Keremeos in 1906 and established a Presbyterian church where he presided as its first minister for many years. He captured a large number of pictures during his tenure, leaving a photographic record of local affairs. Subseries consists of photographs attributed to him.

Ed Aldredge collection

Biographical sketch:
Edgar “Eddie” Wilfrid Aldredge (1901-1992) was one of Penticton’s best known residents. After having worked stints with on the railroad with CPR and in the mining industry with Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company (Trail) in his youth, Aldredge returned to Penticton and began his career as a journalist with the Penticton Herald newspaper in the 1920s. He eventually settled into writing a recurring column dedicated to profiling prominent white settler families of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Later, he wrote a similar column for Okanagan Sunday. He married Winnfred Sadler of Kaleden (d. 1986) in 1963. Ed Aldredge was awarded the City of Penticton’s Merit award for his contributions to the community at in 1973 at the age of 72.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of 265 photographs taken by Ed Aldredge of notable people, structures, landmarks, and events in Penticton, BC. The subseries consists secondarily of a collection of his published columns in the Penticton Herald and Okanagan Sunday as clippings, mounted in two large scrapbooks.

Penticton Herald photograph collection

Subseries consists of an acquisition by Doug Cox of a collection of photographic negatives from the newspaper The Penticton Herald.

Coverage includes themes such as the cultural events, sports, rodeo, telecommunications, buildings and community infrastructure, aviation, industry, disasters.

Joe Harris collection

Biographical sketch:
Joseph Gleason Harris (b. 1910 July 6, d.1994 December 26) arrived in Penticton in 1917. At age 16 he was invited by Frank Richter, Jr., to the Richter Ranch in Keremeos, from which point he visited the Cathedral Mountains for the first time. Later, in 1939, Harris and Herb Clark of Keremeos launched a pack horse business which would take tourists to visit the Cathedrals. In 1944 he entered the ranching industry and in 1946 took over what was previously Ralph Overton’s ranch. This site was later home to Apex Mountain Guest Ranch. 1946 also saw the launch of a heavy equipment business.

Joe Harris and Margaret “Peggy” Burgess married 1945 April 4 and they made their home in Penticton. Together they raised seven children.

Joe Harris also was heavily involved in civic service. Harris served as the chairman of the Central Welfare Committee for fifteen years throughout the 1930s and 1940s. From 1950-1957, Harris also served as an Alderman on the Penticton City Council. Harris was a member of the Penticton Hospital Board for sixteen years and initiated a local volunteer search and rescue group. Harris participated in many local rescues himself.

Harris was also instrumental in local heritage initiatives and worked as the curator of the R.N. Atkinson (Penticton) Museum from 1973-1984. His deep knowledge of the history of the area poised him to deliver educational lectures to various organizations and to serve as president of the Penticton branch of the Okanagan Historical Society for five years.

Harris was an avid photographer, and won many awards. His photographic record documents local places and events throughout the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s.

Harris was a close associate and valuable historical source for Doug Cox during his writing career.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of original photographs taken by Joe Harris as well as some pieces collected by Joe Harris and then subsequently transferred to the custody of Doug Cox. Predominant photographic coverage relates to the Cathedral Mountains, south of Keremeos, BC, during the 1930s. Includes a sequence of interviews with Joe Harris, and some associated transcripts.

Doug Cox research materials

Series consists of Doug Cox’s collecting activity carried out in support of his writing. Points of origin are from various interior regions of British Columbia. Collections acquired are predominantly composed of photographic material, secondarily of textual material, with thematically compiled interviews and associated transcripts also included. Contents depict, describe, and comment upon a variety of scenes and settings, primarily concerning industry and infrastructure, family life, city scenes, and landscapes during the first half of the twentieth century. Many photocopies of images exist with annotations by original donor identifying human subjects, their relationships, and their locations.

The series contains 21 subseries.

Richter and Tweddle families collection

Biographical sketch:
The Tweddle and Richter families the Similkameen and South Okanagan have robust ties.

Richter: Francis Xavier Richter (1837-1910) was born in Freidland, Bohemia on November 5, 1837. In 1864 arrived in the Okanagan/Similkameen area to start cattle ranching. He and Lucy Simla (1846-1903, also notated as Lucy simla Acat, also notated as Lucy Sʔímlaʔxʷ), a member of the Okanagan First Nation from Vernon, BC, were married in 1867 or 1868. They had 5 sons: Charles (1869-1949), William (1872-1922), Joseph (1874-1971), Edward (1876-1971), and John “Hans” Richter (1877-1961).

Prior to the death of his first wife, Lucy Simla, F.X. Richter married Florence Elizabeth Loudon (1877 – 1959) in 1894 and subsequently fathered six more children: Betty, Freida, Frances, Helen, Kathleen, Francis X. Richter Jr. F.X. Richter’s oldest son, Charles, married Florence Loudon’s sister, Ada, in 1900 (Sources: OHS Report 14)

Richter has been described as being responsible for starting the fruit industry in the Similkameen Valley and he had a major orchard operation.

Tweddle: Haliburton “Harry” Tweddle (1876-1957) married Florence Elizabeth Richter (née Loudon, F.X. Richter’s second wife and widow) in 1912. They had 4 children: Haliburton T. (Hal), Margaret, Eileen, and Willa. (Source: OHS report 23). Harry Tweddle owned the Central Hotel in Keremeos, B.C., and operated a ranch, livery stable and stage line serving the Similkameen Valley.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of photographic and textual documentation of the F.X. Richter and Halliburton Tweddle families, as conjoined by Elizabeth Loudon, in the South Okanagan and Similkameen regions. Photographic subject matter treats themes of ranching and orcharding; textual records include copies of correspondence, wills, family trees, etc.

Savona research collection

Subseries comprises the deliberate collecting activity of Ed Villiers and provides documentation of approximately one century of Savona history, which is today west of Kamloops on the shore of Kamloops Lake where the Thompson River has its egress. Originally, Savona was situated on the north shore of Kamloops Lake and represented the terminus of the stage coach line from Cache Creek on the Cariboo Wagon Road. It was also the site of a lake steamboat harbor which carried goods and passengers toward the Shuswap. As rail service was developed on the south shore of Kamloops lake, the decision was made to relocate the town in the 1880s- the relocation was executed by mechanism of pulling structures across the frozen lake during the winter.

Subseries features in large part copied tear sheets of other historical sources, as well as original manuscripts prepared by Ed Villers for the Savona Community Heritage Committee. Other records include census documents, town directories and other documentation.

Doug and Joyce Cox Research Collection

  • CA OSC ARC 01
  • Collection
  • 1865-2008, predominant 1900-1999

Collection consists of the documentation of Cox’s career as an historian and author. The collection is comprised predominantly of photographic material. There are approximately 15,000 unique photographic images: prints in various standard dimensions (8"x10", 5"x7", 4"x6" and smaller, with some custom dimensions, predominantly in black and white; slide transparencies in black and white and colour; negatives, (120, 35mm, and 4”x5”) in black and white; digital photographs in black and white and colour contained on CDs and one hard drive.

Photographic coverage extends from the 1870s to approximately 2008, with the period 1900-1970s predominant. Original photographs by Doug Cox cover the 1970s through approximately 2008.

The collection also features audio cassettes containing sound recordings of interviews recorded in the 1980s and 1990s with associated transcriptions by Joyce Cox. Government documents (primarily Province of British Columbia, c. 1910-1960s) include topographical maps, tree farm license maps, mineral claims maps, taxation records, forestry examination sketches and other records.

Geography covered is predominantly the Shuswap, Okanagan, Similkameen, Boundary, Kootenay, Nicola and Thompson regions of British Columbia, with sparser coverage of outlying areas as well.

Themes treated include mining, ranching, forestry, agriculture and orchard cultivation, industry and infrastructure, landscapes and cityscapes, sports and recreation, community life, and family documentation.

Archibald Murchie collection

Biographical sketch:
Archibald Murchie (1852-1930) immigrated to Victoria, BC as an adult. His brother, Thomas Murchie would go on to found Murchie’s Tea and name his own son Archibald Murchie (1892-1925, and not to be confused with his namesake). Following his calling to become an evangelist minister for the Spiritualist Church (an off-shoot of the Church of England), he set off into the interior of BC to preach as a missionary.

Although Murchie had dabbled in photography prior to coming to Canada, his career began in earnest when he arrived in Williams Lake, BC, in 1893. Wherever his missionary calling took him, Murchie brought along his camera. Marcus Smith, famed CPR engineer and previous associate of Murchie’s by function of their common membership to the Spiritualist Church, hired Murchie to photograph the creation of a bridge over the Fraser River at Sheep Creek. Work on this project was slow enough to afford Murchie to engage in side trips to Quenel, BC, and farther north. Here he made a connection with the Reverend A. H. Cameron who suggested he establish a parish in Princeton. After this failed, Murchie returned to the Cariboo and set up a photography studio in Ashcroft, BC.

In 1911 Murchie moved again to the Okanagan Valley and in 1916 at age 64 he married Amy Wood. His last attributed photograph was taken in 1918.

Scope and content:
Landscapes showing developing infrastructure in the interior of British Columbia in the later 19th and early 20th century, with especially robust coverage of the construction of railroads and bridges, as well as some mining operations. Features group portraits of work crews.

Valentine Carmichael Haynes collection

Biographical sketch:
Valentine Carmichael Haynes (21 December, 1875 – 1963?) was the first of many white settlers to be born in Osoyoos. He worked as a rancher all his life and was highly skilled in this area. Haynes married Elizabeth Runnels (d. 1942), niece of Nespelem George, a First Nations chief with described kinship to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation. Runnels was an artist (oil) and interpreter. One daughter, Alice, married a Thompson.

Scope and content:
Subseries consists of documentation of Valentine Haynes and his family, as well as the Okanagan Cattle Company, of which Haynes was founder, all in the approximate area of Osoyoos, BC. Photographs depict ranching scenes, landscapes, and family life; textual materials include banking records, biographical sketches, Okanagan Cattle Company records, and genealogical information.

S.M. Simpson Ltd.

Series consists of records generated by the business activities Stanley M. Simpson, the corporation he founded (S.M.S. Ltd) and its various subsidiaries between 1906 and 1965, when S.M.S. Ltd. was purchased by Crown Zellerbach Canada Ltd.
Series documents the operations of several sawmills and wood manufacturing plants, forestry harvesting operations, and retail outlets owned by S.M.S. Ltd. operating throughout the Central Okanagan, predominantly during the mid twentieth century.
Series includes an extensive collection of artifacts, robust photographic record, and company records.
Series descriptions within this sous fonds continue at 2.1.2.

S.M. Simpson Ltd.

S.M. Simpson Ltd. Financial Files

Subseries consists of remaining financial records describing the debits and credits of S.M. Simpson prior to the founding of S.M. Simpson Ltd, as well as those generated as a natural by-product of operations of the enterprise, S.M. Simpson Ltd.
Contents of series include banking records, invoices, company financial reports, and payroll & remittances to Workman’s Compensation (currently known as WorkSafe BC).

S.M. Simpson Ltd.

Results 1 to 50 of 461