Peter Cardew fonds
- Attributions and conjectures: Title based on contents of the fonds
- Cardew, Peter
61.5 cm of photographic material
42 sets of architectural drawings
13 cm of textual records
Peter John Alexander Cardew was born on August 6, 1939 in Guildford, England. He grew up in the rural village of West Horsley, Surrey, England. Some of his earliest childhood memories were of World War II. His father, an officer with the Royal Air Force, died in 1941 when his Spitfire was shot down. For a time, he moved into a safer refuge in the town of Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire during the war, then went on to public schools while his mother worked in Africa. From 1958 to 1964, Cardew attended the Kingston College of Art (now Kingston University). Prior to his completion of a Diploma in Architecture in 1965, he took a year off, from 1961 to 1962, to work on an exhibition pavilion with Max Bacher an architect in Stuttgart, before moving back to London. Following work for a number of small firms after his graduation, Cardew worked as a project architect with Roman Halter & Associates in London, England until 1966, when despite the offer of partnership at a young age, he decided to emigrate to Canada as a result of meeting his future wife, Carol Ringwood, who was from British Columbia. In 1966, the couple married and settled in Vancouver. They later welcomed a daughter, Savanna, before eventually separating.
His first Canadian job was a stint on the working drawings for Arthur Erickson’s MacMillan-Bloedel Building on Georgia Street. From 1967 to 1980, Cardew worked for Rhone & Iredale Architects, becoming a partner in 1974. As Rhone & Iredale was closing in 1980, Cardew established his own practice – Peter Cardew Architects. The projects undertaken by the firm were generally of a more institutional/cultural nature where the complexities of the projects demanded more innovative and creative solutions than those associated with repetitive commercial projects. He limited the number of projects taken on by the firm at any one time in order to ensure meaningful involvement by him as principal through all phases of design and construction. Over his career, Cardew designed schools, exhibition buildings for Expo ‘86 held in Vancouver, B.C., condominiums, private homes, office buildings, libraries, art galleries, retail establishments and furniture. Some of his employees who went on to establish their own successful careers include Russell Acton, Michael Kothke, Rob Grant, David Scott, and Elizabeth Shotton.
In 1967, Cardew became a member of the Architectural Institute of British Columbia and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He was also active in the development of the city having twice, in 1978 and 1989, been Chairman of the City of Vancouver Urban Design panel, made up of members of related professions together with city planning officials to review all major projects in the downtown area. From 1980 – 1983, he served as a member of the Architectural Institute of British Columbia Urban Issues Committee. In 1983, he was elected Academician in the Art of Architecture to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. From 1988 – 1989, Cardew served on the Board of Directors of the Contemporary Art Gallery in Vancouver. He also served on various juries and advisory councils and served on the board of directors of the University of British Columbia’s School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
Cardew taught as an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia, the University of Calgary, Dalhousie University, the University of Texas at Austin, and Washington State University and lectured extensively in North and South America and Europe.
Cardew’s work has been displayed in numerous exhibitions, with perhaps one of the most well- known ones Peter Cardew, Ordinary Buildings an exhibition of his drawings first held in the Charles H. Scott Gallery at the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design in Vancouver, B.C. and then in galleries across North America from 1996 to 2001.
Some of Cardew’s most well-known projects include the Crown Life Building (now known by its address at 1500 West Georgia), the Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery at the University of British Columbia, the Calgary Folk Music Festival Hall, the CN Pavilion at Expo ’86, the False Creek Townhouses, the Lignum Sawmill Offices, the Odlum Drive Live/Work Studios, Reigning Champ Stores, and the Yunesit’in First Nation (also known as Stone Band) School.
Cardew won numerous awards for his work, among them were the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Gold Medal for distinguished service to Architecture in 2012 (the profession’s highest honour); the Architectural Institute of British Columbia Lieutenant Governor’s Medal Award of Excellence in 2005; the Architectural Institute of British Columbia, Lieutenant Governor’s Medal for the David Wardle and Martha Sturdy House in 1999; the Architectural Institute of British Columbia, Lieutenant Governor’s Medal for the Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery in 1999; the Architectural Institute of British Columbia Lieutenant Governor’s medal for the Odlum Drive Live-Work Studios in 1999; the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Governor General’s medal for the Morris and Helen Belkin Gallery in 1999; and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Governor General’s medal for the False Creek Townhouses in 1982.
Cardew died on October 26, 2020 at the age of 81 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The fonds reflects Peter Cardew’s professional career as an architect, predominantly since 1966, the year that he emigrated to Canada. Over his career, Cardew designed schools, exhibition buildings for Expo ‘86 held in Vancouver, B.C., condominiums, private homes, office buildings, libraries, art galleries, retail establishments and furniture. Records include slides and photographs reflecting buildings that may have served as inspiration for his designs, as well as those that he designed and built. Records also include building permits for select projects, and an exhibit catalogue for one of his most well known exhibitions: Peter Cardew, Ordinary Buildings, an exhibition of his drawings first held in the Charles H. Scott Gallery at the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design in Vancouver, B.C. Records also include numerous awards that Cardew received for his designs, certificates which document his membership in various professional associations, as well as posters for various speaker series in which he participated. The fonds also includes records related to the operation of Cardew’s firm, Peter Cardew Architects, such as account ledgers and the firm profile.
The fonds is divided into three series: Slides and Photographs, Professional Documents and Other Materials, and Architectural Drawings.
Records consist of slides, photographs, negatives, legal documents, building permit applications, awards, exhibit catalogues, magazine profiles, posters, newspaper clippings, account ledgers, diplomas and architectural drawings.
All records were donated by the estate of Peter Cardew.
Arrangement was imposed by the archivist. Materials have been primarily arranged by media type.
控制使用, 复制, 和发布的术语
Generated finding aid
Cardew also donated several books which can be found in the UBC library catalogue and three models which were transferred to UBC's Music, Art and Architecture Library.
The website of Peter Cardew Architects has been preserved here https://wayback.archive-it.org/4160/20210317170600/https://www.petercardew.com/projects
No further accruals are expected.
Additional material from this donation is still being processed and will be added to this finding aid when it is ready.
Finding aid produced in March 2022 and updated in January 2023 by Catherine Hall.