Title and statement of responsibility area
School of Family and Nutritional Sciences fonds
General material designation
- Photographic material
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.83 m of textual records
3 photograph albums, 97 individual prints, and 89 slides
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The pressure to establish a Home Economics course at the University of British Columbia began as early as 1923. By the mid-1920s, the Provincial Parent-Teacher Federation mounted a campaign to develop a UBC degree course. The organization initiated a fund to endow a chair, and by 1927 it had reached $11,000. The money came in small donations from across the province, and public demand for a program continued to accelerate. In response, the University instituted a Home Economics Degree Course in 1931. However, deep cuts in University funding the following year resulted in the course's temporary suspension. The Provincial Parent-Teachers Federation established a permanent committee in 1933 to oversee the development fund's use, which continued to grow. In addition, the committee provided bursaries to eight students who had begun the UBC program to complete their education at another university. In 1943, the Senate and Board of Governors approved the course's re-establishment at the earliest possible moment. The Parent-Teacher Federation turned over $20,000 to the University in 1945 to help finance the construction and furnishing of campus facilities.
Finally, after holding classes in the campus army huts and enduring a fire in 1948, the new Home Economics Building opened in September 1949. Dorothy Lefebvre served as the first head of the Department of Home Economics. She resigned within a few years and was replaced by Charlotte Black, who served as director until the 1960s. In 1951, the program's status changed as it became the School of Home Economics, part of the Faculty of Arts and Science. It moved to a new building near the UBC Bookstore on East Mall in 1982 and was renamed the School of Family and Nutritional Sciences in 1984. The School's administrative responsibility was transferred to the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences in 1992, following an earlier academic review that recommended that the dietetics and nutrition programs be relocated to a science-based faculty. There was strong support for the move. There were already several close links between the School and Agricultural Sciences, particularly between the School's nutritional sciences program and the Faculty's Department of Food Science and Animal Science programs. By 1992 the School was offering a Dietetics program leading to a BSc (Diet.) degree, a Family Science major leading to a BA degree, a Home Economics program leading to a BHE degree, a Nutritional Sciences major leading to a BSc degree, an MA in Family Studies, and MSc and Ph.D. degrees in Human Nutrition. The School was discontinued in 1999 -- the dietetics and nutrition programs remained within the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, while the family studies program transferred to the School of Social Work.
The scrapbook and cashbook originally belonged to the Home Economics Permanent Committee of the B.C. Parent-Teacher Federation, while some of the early correspondence and printed material which originated at UBC was collected by Charlotte Black for the Department. These were transferred to the Library by Dr. Black in 1957. The rest of the fonds was transferred to the University Archives by the School of Family and Nutritional Sciences in 2001.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence, reports, financial materials, bound volumes, newspaper clippings, appointment notices, applications, minutes, course outlines, questionnaires, and photographs pertaining to the origins, development and administration of the School of Family and Nutritional Sciences and its predecesssors.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These are institutional records and subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Researcher access to these records is subject to review. To arrange access, please contact us at UBC Archives.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Please see the finding aid for the file list.
Uploaded finding aid
Photographs and videocassettes are stored separately. Please ask the archives staff for details. Some of the photographs have been digitized and are available online in the UBC Library Open Collections series UBC 101.1