Title and statement of responsibility area
University Climatological Station Committee fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1954 a President's Climatological Station Committee was established to explore the possibilities of installing and operating a climatological station. In the same year, a request was made to the Meteorological Division in the Federal Department of Transport to supply the essential equipment. An agreement was reached in 1955 for the establishment and maintenance of a station, providing the UBC provided a suitable site and qualified observers, maintained records according to Meteorological Division standards, and provided monthly reports to the Division. The Station was set up in 1957 west of the Agronomy Barn on Agronomy Road; campus development forced its relocation further south in 1964. The Committee administered the Station, maintained liaison with the Meteorological Division, and until 1963 held informal seminars on weather and climate studies during its regular meetings. The Committee was re-constituted to report to the Dean of Graduate Studies; that year, an Atmospheric Sciences Colloquium was established to organize lectures and seminars.
The records and the original rain gauge, sunlight, thermograph, and anemograph traces and raw data were initially stored with the Registrar's Office (the Assistant Registrar served as Committee Secretary) and the Department of Geography; they may have been available through the Geography Reading Room. In 1977 they were transferred to the Library's Government Publications Division. In 1998, after determining that Environment Canada already had the climatological data on file, the traces and raw data records were destroyed; the remaining records were transferred to the University Archives.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of annual reports from the Committee, summaries of climatological data from the Station, and correspondence.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These are institutional records and subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Researcher access to these records is subject to review.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Uploaded finding aid
Standard number area
Name access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Revised in January 2021, JM.