University of British Columbia. Information Technology.

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of British Columbia. Information Technology.

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1955-

History

In the autumn of 1955, President Norman Mackenzie appointed a Committee on Automation to investigate "the University's total interest in computers and automation in general." The Committee consisted of approximately 20 members representing most of the research interests on campus and was chaired by E.D. McPhee. At the Committee's first meeting on November 16, 1955, four sub-committees were formed: Departmental Interests and Specifications; Training and Curriculum: Type Equipment; and Library Needs and Resources. The Committee held several meetings and prepared several reports on various facets of computerization.
The University of British Columbia Computing Centre was established in 1957 with the ALWWAC III-E installation. Because of the ever-increasing demand for memory and speed, the Computing Centre eventually replaced the ALWAC with the IBM 1620 in 1961. The IBM 7040 was introduced in 1964, and IBM 360/67 and IBM 7044 were introduced in 1967. Over the years, the Centre has continually upgraded its facilities to provide academic and administrative computing services to the University.
In the 1990s, the Computing Centre went through many significant changes, both structurally and functionally. In 1994 it became a core component of a new division known as University Computing & Communications (C&C). C&C initially had four main branches under it, known as University Computing Services, Telecommunication Services, Media Services (later ImPress), and UBC Press. In 1995 Information Systems Management was absorbed by C&C. In 1999, Computing & Communications became Information Technology Services (IT Services). In 2003, IT Services was restructured and, after removing two units that did not fit its mission, became UBC Information Technology "IT." In 2010 IT groups were amalgamated to form UBC IT. As of 2018, the department service offerings range from IT-related strategy, applications, infrastructure, to support services.
The department has had several heads since its inception. The title for the head of the department has evolved from Supervisor to Director to Associate Vice-President. Currently, UBC IT falls under the Associate Vice-President, Information Technology and Chief Information Officer Jennifer Burns (2015 –). Previous individuals holding the top leadership position over the years have included T. E. Hull (1957 -1964), James M. Kennedy (1966 – 1980), Alvin G. Fowler (1981 – 1985), and Jack L. Leigh (1986-1997), Ted Dodds (1997 – 2009), Oliver Grüter-Andrew (2009 – 2015).
Additional administrators of note include S. Werner "Vern" Dettwiler (Acting Head 1963-1965), Dr. Richard Spencer (Acting Head 2007-2008), Carol J. Bird, and Jim Tom. Carol was Assistant Director (1980-1990), Associate Director of Academic Services (1990-1993) and Director of Information Systems Management (1993-1995). Jim Tom was Director of Telecommunications (1992 – 1999), Director of Networks (1999 – 2004), and Director of e-Learning & Telestudios (2004).

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

UBCA-ARC-AUTH-218

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places