University of British Columbia. Land and Building Services
Land and Building Services is responsible for engineering and grounds and building maintenance. These functions were initially the responsibility of the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, first established in 1943 within the Bursar's Office, and later the Dean of Administrative and Financial Services. This position was subsumed into the Office of Physical Plant in 1967. In the 1980s Physical Plant was re-organized into two departments, Plant Operations (1989-1997) and Physical Design and Construction. In 1988 Physical Design and Construction merged with Facilities Planning to form Campus Planning and Development (later renamed Campus and Community Planning). Plant Operations continued as a separate department until 1998 when it was subsumed within Land and Building Services under the direction of Associate Vice-President Geoff Atkins. During the next ten years, UBC's sustainability and community planning initiatives and its traditional plant operations and utility management were directed from within the Land and Building Services framework. In 2009 these responsibilities were re-organized and dispersed. Atkins was placed in charge of the University's sustainability initiatives within Campus and Community Planning. Plant operations and utility management were placed within Building Operations under Managing Director David Woodson, established within the Vice-President Finance, Resources and Operations portfolio under Pierre Ouillet.