Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Nanaimo Electric Light, Power and Heating Company operated a coal-powered electric plant in Nanaimo built in 1888, primarily for lighting streets and homes. In 1904, the company, then owned in Victoria, built a hydro-electric plant and dam on the Millstone River. In 1907, No. 2 dam was built at Westwood Lake. The company was sold in 1926 to the International Utilities Corporation. In June of 1930 the company was acquired by the Commonwealth Corporation and in July 1934 it was amalgamated with Duncan Utilities Limited, creating Nanaimo Duncan Utilities Limited. William Lewis started as bookkeeper and collector for the company in 1897, and was manager of the Nanaimo operations until 1931.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places