Fonds UBCA-ARC-1108 - Faculty Women's Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty Women's Club fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Photographic material
  • Moving images

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

1.70 m of textual records
2 photographs
1 videotape

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Women's Club of the University of British Columbia was founded in 1917 in response to a request from the Board of Governors "that the wives of faculty members be asked to supervise possible rooming houses for women students about to enter the university." In 1925 the Club's name changed to the Faculty Women's Club. Membership included both faculty wives and women members of faculty. Its official purposes were, and are, to promote social activities and other interests among its many members and provide financial support and further assistance to students as the Club's resources may permit. Early Club meetings were held in members' homes; later sessions were in Brock Hall. Social activities included entertainment for Club members and their spouses at dinners, dances, and teas, and lunches for the students. Club meetings regularly include speakers and musical programs. Student financial assistance is provided through scholarships and bursaries. The Anne Wesbrook Scholarship Fund, founded in 1919, awards $500 (formerly $100) to any student (preferably a woman) for post-graduate work at any university. From 1934 to 1967, the Faculty Women's Club bursary was awarded annually until funds were diverted to the Dean of Women's emergency fund for female students. The Jubilee Fund, established in 1970, provides financial aid to mature female students. From the beginning, the work of the Club has been primarily carried out by committees. Membership expanded after World War II. Since then, many interests and hobby groups have been formed; they also play an essential role, significantly since membership jumped again during the 1960s. In 1967 the Club obtained permanent quarters in the basement of Cecil Green Park House, and in 1992 celebrated its 75th anniversary.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of various revised constitutions, minutes, annual reports of the Club, its committees and interest groups, financial records (including bound ledgers), correspondence, membership lists, newsletters, programmes (including photographs used in their production), a videotape of the Club's 75th-anniversary banquet, and scrapbooks. The increase in Club membership parallels the growth and development of the University. The records reflect many of the changes which have taken place over the years. They provide an insight into the concerns and activities of educated women through two world wars and the depression and record some of their contributions to university life.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred in several accessions. In 1967, the Special Collections Division acquired some early records by donation, which were placed in a subject file box. In 1972 a group of papers dating from 1917 were officially deposited in the Archives. Since then, records have been deposited fairly regularly by outgoing Club executives, most recently in 2006.


The records were acquired in no definite order. However, the archivist arranged the records into two main series, the Executive and Committees series and two smaller series based on the Club's newsletters and scrapbooks.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Online Finding Aid
Please see finding aid for the file list.

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials


Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Updated in January 2021, JM.

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area