Title and statement of responsibility area
Players' Club Alumni fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Photographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
10 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Players' Club Alumni of The University of British Columbia was established in 1933 to provide an organization of past and future members of the Players' Club to help form a permanent theatre. With encouragement from Frederic Wood, the Players' Club Alumni (PCA) entered the 1933 Dominion Drama Festival with a one-act play, Fog, written and directed by Sydney Risk. Full-length productions began the following year with Jules Romain's comedy, Dr. Knock, directed by Bea Wood. Ensuing productions included; By Candlelight, Fresh Fields, Once in a Lifetime, Boy Meets Girl, The Lady of Lyons, Lovers Leap, The Adding Machine and The Man Who Came to Dinner. Unfortunately, the productions of Distant Point and Claudia following a brief war-time hiatus exhausted the club's resources. The PCA returned in 1949 with three one-act comedies in the UBC Auditorium. In 1955, the club's production of The Crucible for the Dominion Drama Festival in Regina won the Calvert trophy for the best play. The PCA continued with several productions, all under the direction of John Brockington, which included: The Living Room, I am a Camera, The Cherry Orchard, Waiting for Godot and The Potting Shed. In 1958, the club staged its last production, At Our Wit's End. Although it continued to exist for several more years, at its general meeting in July 1965, the PCA wound up its activities by voting to donate the residue of club funds to the Dorothy Somerset Scholarship Fund.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes (1951-1955), records of productions (primarily financial) (1934-1963), and miscellaneous other records generated by the Players' Club Alumni.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Photographs digitized and included in UBC Archives’ Historical Photograph Collection UBC 108.1.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Online Finding Aid
Please see the finding aid for an inventory of files.
Uploaded finding aid
Oversize display boards of photographs of performances by the Players Club, 1937, 1939, 1945 & 1946 are located in the vault in cabinet 2. Please ask archives staff for details.
Items in File 2-5 were added in 2020.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
- Frederic Wood Theatre (Subject)
- Univeristy of British Columbia. Dept. of Film & Theatre (Subject)